Thanksgiving can be tough for those of us struggling with weight issues. It’s the official start of the holiday feasting season, which makes it tough to diet or maintain weight loss. Whether you’ve scheduled your first CoolSculpting session or have already had a treatment, a healthy diet is essential for maintaining results. Once you’ve completed fat freezing treatments, it’s important to maintain your weight—and once you see results, you’ll be extra motivated to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
The average American gains between five and 10 pounds during the holidays. Read on for a few strategies to combat that oh-so-dreaded holiday weight gain so you can make the most out of your CoolSculpting results.
1. Have a healthy breakfast. The worst thing to do is “save up” your calories for the big meal. When you starve yourself all day, this only guarantees you will overeat. Start your day off with a good breakfast, loaded with protein and fiber, and have healthy snacks throughout the day.
2. Move it. If you have days off, why not work out? One of the best things you can to do to help compensate for a few extra calories is to boost your calorie burn. Exercising will rev your metabolism and give you extra energy to enjoy your holiday. Hit the gym, go for a run or take an exercise class. It’s also a good idea to take a walk after dinner to promote healthy digestion and burn some extra calories.
3. Fill your plate with protein and fiber. One way to fill yourself up quickly is to fill the majority of your plate with sources of lean protein, such as turkey, and vegetables for their fiber content.
4. Limit your alcohol intake. Alcohol provides a lot of empty calories with zero nutrients, so restrict your intake to one or two.
5. Bring something healthy. Whether you are making the dinner yourself or attending as a guest, make something healthy for the meal. Give something traditional a healthy spin, such as fusing mashed potatoes with cauliflower, or bring a healthy, nutrient-rich salad. The best way to maintain your fat freezing results is to regularly make healthy recipes, so this is a great time to try something new.